Monday, August 9, 2010

Ridin' Solo

*Picture from www.wired.com (one of my favorite publications)


What: Bicycling (Manhattan-Style)
Where: Midtown down to the World Financial Center
Who: Me
About a month ago I became dead set on the idea of riding my bike to work. And then, approximately two weeks ago, I summoned up the courage to do so. Having absolutely no idea how far it was from Midtown East down to the World Financial Center I assumed it must be a short distance, in my mind, with Manhattan being a tiny island, I thought a mile tops (probably something I should not be openly admitting). But when put into Google Maps, one can find the actual distance of 6 miles, not an epic feat, but a fair ride for 8 AM.

The route seemed simple enough; all I had to do was to get from the East Side (Lexington Avenue) over to the West Side and then I could take the bike path that runs along the West Side Highway all the way to my office.

Taking the bicycle down the stairs of my apartment (a feat in and of itself) and arriving on the street, immediately I realized that I was not in Connecticut anymore and the chances of being hit by a car grew hunredfold. Buckling my helmet and throwing caution to the wind I mounted the bicycle and headed East on Lexington to eventually go down one block so that I could go West. It was at this moment that I decided not to be a bike that went the wrong way down one-ways.

90% scared and 10% euphoric (for not having to ride the subway) I peddled down Lexington and then took a right to make it over to the West Side. It was going smoothly until I was stuck in traffic due to a red light and could not decide if I wanted to ride up the side of the cars to the front of the line; something I have seen many bikers do. While I started to edge towards the front of the line I ran into a series of obstacles: cars tried to pull out, taxi passengers were opening their doors, and people were j-walking. Having to swerve every 3 seconds to avoid inevitable death I decided to wait until traffic began to move.

I thought I had beat all the obstacles when I hit 8th Avenue until a fellow biker, a delivery man of sorts, was coming towards me going the wrong way down a one-way. Not only was he going the wrong direction, he proceeded to edge me out into the road so that I could not ride next to the parked cars. Disgusted I looked back to see if I was going to be hit, luckily I was not, but it took every ounce of effort for me not to casually reach out and knock the man off his bike as he passed (something I cannot promise will be done in the future.)

Finally, making it to the path on the West Side Highway I rode leisurely down to my office where I parked in the garage and was ushered into the freight elevator to go upstairs. Not realizing that I could not stop in the bathroom before the elevator I showed up on the floor of my building sweating profusely in a tank top and shorts (read: not the best way to get ahead in the ‘finance world.’)

After running into the bathroom to change I realized I had made the second mistake of the day, I had put all of my belongings into my roommates ‘Glee’ bag and had to proceed to carry that around the office for the day. The ridicule between wearing a ‘beater’ and carrying a ‘Glee’ bag that ensued for the rest of the day was quite humorous…for the rest of the office.
I plan on riding in at least once a week.

I have never felt so refreshed going into work, it was probably the combination of the fresh air by the water, not being in the subway, and the constant fear that I might die at any moment.
Goals Accomplished:
1) First time riding a bike "Manhattan-Style"
2) Wildly uncomfortable riding close to cars
3) Learned that other bikers can be worse than the cars on the road

No comments:

Post a Comment