Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pizza, Yes, For One, No



What: A Rejection
Where: Florence, Italy
Who: Myself
I arrived in Florence on Monday, February 14th. Not realizing what day it was after having traveled from Madrid on the bus ride that took me to the plane that took me to the train. After showering in my hotel I dressed in what might be considered extensive in New York City, but felt right for a nice dinner in Florence.
As I walked down the cobblestone streets passing by buildings, statues and monuments built by masters of the past I began to drink in the energy that is Italy. As I passed by one partially outdoor cafe I noticed an array of hearts and cupids on the overhang and in the windows. It was Valentine’s Day.
Having been in Europe for a week at this point I knew it had been this Hallmark Holiday when I had awoken that day, but had forgotten by the time my feet hit the dirt in Tuscany. This less than pleased me, I was alone (even though in a relationship), across the ocean. Deciding to make the best of it, the way many single girls do on some lonely Sunday at a matinee, I headed in the direction of a favorite pizza place from years before when I studied in Florence.
After weaving in and out of the city center towards the less touristy (read: less expensive) restaurants of the center I found myself at Pizzaiolo. My Italian was rusty after years of solitary confinement, but I had never forgotten how to ask for a table, order more food or ask for a liter of wine.
Translated Conversation:
Me: Good Evening, may I have a table for one, please?
Hostess: No, we cannot accommodate a table for one tonight.
I stared blank, something I am pretty sure translates the world over, thinking that maybe I had used the wrong verb and altered my question.
Me: Can I have a table, please?
Hostess: No, you cannot have a table.
I stepped towards the door somewhat stupefied by the experience as three people walked in.
Group: May we have a table for three?
Hostess: Yes, right this way.
For a moment I thought about asking to join that table and being their fourth...they wouldn’t even have to acknowledge my presence, except when ordering. After a moment of dreamily, probably creepily, staring at the threesome I headed towards the door.
As I slipped out the front door I saw another restaurant favorite I had from years earlier and decided to go there instead.
After a whole pizza and half a liter of wine I roamed the streets back towards my hotel. The intoxicating scents and sights of Florence became overly romanticized in my head. The statues? I thought. Sure they were beautifully built, but they weren’t ‘that’ impressive. And the oldest bridge in Italy? I mean really, had they seen the Brooklyn bridge?
Rounding the street where the restaurant that had accosted me hours earlier was I swore I would never go there again; a big threat considering I had been to the country three times in the past 6 years.
The next night I found myself jonesing for more authentic Italian pizza and found myself in front of the exact restaurant, Pizzaiolo.
I stepped through the front door, walked right up to the hostess, held my head high, and said:
“May I have one pizza...to go please?”

Goals Accomplished:
1) First dinner alone
2) Uncomfortable getting rejected
3) That Italian hostess' are not above having an attitude

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, did you know there's a foursquare badge called Pizzaiolo?

    Second, scene = seen ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about this badge, but I desperately want to get it. And you are correct, that is a typo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete