Monday, May 3, 2010

Sweat Baby, Sweat



What: Spin Class
Where: 24 Fitness
Who: Me (and other more experienced members)


Whether I decided to endure such a painful workout because: my roommate is a semi-pro cyclist, I had just recently broken up with someone and wanted to lose weight, or because I had just read about the Bike Snob, I am unsure. Regardless of the reasoning, I decided to sign up for my first spin class a few weeks ago.

I would consider myself in good shape, I work out 5-6 times a week and regularly use the elliptical (because of asthma and a bum knee, otherwise I would run). And at the very least I had assumed that there would be a few attractive men in my class. When I entered the room and there were only 3 other men I should have immediately walked out. When the instructor asked if this was anyone else’s first time and only one other person rose their hand I should have ran out.

The instructor failed to see my hand, which I took to mean I would have to step up my game: become a real pro in a matter of minutes. Within two minutes I realized I could not fake having done this before. I was dripping with sweat; droplets were plummeting onto my arms, the bike, and the ground. My sweat towel had become useless in a matter of minutes since it had become sopping wet. And being the wise old man I am definitely not, I had forgotten to bring a water bottle. Being the cheap (and environmentally friendly) guy that I am, I refused to buy a bottle of water.

The instructor was great, he was excellent at encouraging us and occasionally making us laugh, even during a 14 minute climb. And while he reiterated “You only get out as much as you put in,” there were times I was going slower than he wanted, or turned the resistance down…almost off. And then got snide looks from the girl next to me who was not cheating herself, I undermined her arrogance my trying to aim my sweat droplets in her direction.

It was more of a workout than I had anticipated. And I was counting down the minutes until it was over. There was a clock staring me in the face, which was hard to look away from. The class before us had ended 8 minutes early, I thought ours would too and was extremely disappointed when I looked up at the clock and saw 5 minutes left.

What??? We were supposed to end 3 minutes ago!

But I made it, I did not walk out (even though I wanted to after 10 minutes and half of what kept me on my bike was that I was all the way across the room from the door). The instructor gave me a high five and told me I had done a good job, he must have known that for me to ever come back I would need the encouragement.

Dripping with sweat, red in the face, legs burning in pain, and carry a soaking towel I walked out with my head held slightly higher than before I waddled very slowly up the steps to the exit.



Goals Accomplished:
1) Spinning is new
2) Comfortable was never a thought I had during it
3) Learned that most women can kick my ass at cycling

2 comments:

  1. your cycling post is great! oh I remember my first class. I definitely walked out and almost threw up. Seriously 6 years later it's still SO hard and I sweat like a maniac but I love it and can get through all the classes with few breaks :) keep doing it!! come to equinox !

    I think I've told you this but I'm TOTALLY that girl who is like you have NO resistance on that's the only reason you look like you can spin. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you for reading! And I definitely almost threw up as well...probably the only reason I didn't was because I had hardly eaten before hand. That combined with the profuse sweating did however get me into skinny jeans!

    I will absolutely come to Equinox..I've never been! It will be perfect!

    And the truth is that I aspire to be that girl who can give the snide looks at people with no resistance...well that in the male form.

    ReplyDelete