Monday, October 4, 2010

The Brooklyn Bridge Takes Me Where?


What: Walking the Brooklyn Bridge
Where: Brooklyn Bridge
Who: Jason and Me

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge has been on my bucket list since the first time I visited to New York, but for some reason or another I had never done it…up until last week that is.

A friend of mine, Jason, asked me to meet him in Dumbo. When I asked, “Why?” he told me that it was ‘ridiculous’ that I have yet to walk over the bridge, a fact made truer since I work downtown.

I found Dumbo to be pretty awesome, it is trendy and fun like Williamsburg, but without all the hipsters. Sadly, the rents are the same as Manhattan.

Walking against traffic (read: walking back towards Manhattan at 6 PM) over the bridge turned out to be slightly difficult even though there are clearly two walking lanes. People walking with the majority found it appropriate to edge Jason and me into the bike lane so their commute could go quicker.

Traffic jams aside the view from the bridge is amazing. While I have seen pictures of and from the bridge for years, it was a whole new experience to see these images firsthand. The city lights look brighter, the buildings bigger, the arches on the bridge taller and the tourists more plentiful.

However, I did have a heart attack when one girl thought it would be fun to pose on a ledge for a photo. There was nothing to catch this girl from falling into the speeding cars below and I can only hope the picture was worth it. Having a weak stomach I turned away before her friend snapped the photo or she fell to her death, an outcome that will haunt me forever.

This experience, while short, was invigorating; it reminds you of all the possibilities that lay before you in the city.


Goals Accomplished:
1) First time walking the Brooklyn Bridge
2) Not uncomfortable, but worried about the girl that may or may not have a picture of herself
3) Did not learn much, other than I waited too long to do this

No comments:

Post a Comment