Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dinner at DBGB and a Semi-Date (But not really)

What: Dinner
Where: DBGB Kitchen and Bar
Who: Me and my Ex


Tonight was a list of firsts. It was the first time my bosses told me to go out to dinner and expense it to the company (as a thank you for the work I do…both kind and surprising). It was the first time I went out to a fancy restaurant in New York. It was the first time I had ham hock. And it was the very first time I went out with an ex (something I usually dread more than if the dentist, the eye doctor, and my physician wanted to infiltrate my being at the same time).

The atmosphere in DBGB (owned by the famous chef Daniel Bouldon) is fantastic. The mirrored walls are lined with writing: definitions of French words, names of cocktails, and any other food or beverage related item you can think of. We sat in the front room by the window on a bench (next to each other). In theory this sounds surprisingly awkward, but it was quite pleasant, that is unless, of course you detest the person you are with.

Against all odds, I do not detest my ex in the least; rather I enjoy him very much. I asked him to accompany me to dinner because he is the only person I know in the city that enjoys food as much as I do. Throwing our cares about calories to the wind we ordered the ham hock for an appetizer. It was delicious, our server told us it was part the shoulder of a pig, but upon further investigation I found it was part of the leg.

I ordered the duck, and it was the first time I had duck that was not oozing with oil (and yes I have had duck in Paris, not that I am an expert by any means). It had the consistency of a soft steak and was delicious. My ex ordered what they are famous for, a dish with sausage that was fantastic as well.

I knew I had picked the right person to fine dine with when he insisted on ordering dessert and lattes; the fatties within both of us bonded. We had dark chocolate ice cream with homemade cookies in it. It was amazing.

The food, combined with the wine and the atmosphere made one of the best evenings I have had thus far in New York. And yes, I will give credit to my ex where it is due, he is a superb conversationalist.

And while I am not a food snob (you can often times find me at McDonalds (http://www.mcdonalds.com/ - yes this deserves a link too) at 2 in the morning after a night of cocktails and dancing) I have to give this restaurant a definite “go there”. I do not believe in stars or any other silly thing like that. Telling me a place as two, three, or four stars does not make me want to eat there. Telling me that I should “go there” does. So go, indulge, throw your diet to the wind and have a wonderful evening.

*And lastly, since I can safely assume my sister is reading this, Yes I went to dinner with him, we can talk about it later. Love you.

Goals Accomplished:
1) I have never been to a nice restaurant in NYC or gone out with an ex of mine to dinner
2) I think I missed the mark on this one, but if I want to grasp at straws I was nervous to go out with my ex

3) I like duck more than I thought, this restaurant is fantastic, and oh yeah - my ex is pretty cool (consider this last one a rediscovery)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Which Ex might this be? And world: when this 22 year old tries new food it's kind of a big deal. He used to not eat anything on the plate if it touched something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question, it is the Apple ex. And I will eat anything once...now. Anyone who reads is more than welcome to make suggestions!

    ReplyDelete