Monday, April 19, 2010

When You Turn 26 You Become 'Sir'

What: Frisbee
Where: Central Park
Who: Me, a few of my friends, a few strangers

Even though I have lived in New York twice before for 3 months at a time over the summers between college I had never been to Central Park. One time I had tried to find this small, elusive park, but when I reached the East 60’s I followed signs that said “Park”, thinking it would lead me to the landmark, and instead found several, partially empty, parking garages.

Now that I live a mere six blocks from the park, I figured there would be no way I could miss it. On a particularly warm Friday after work a few friends and I decided to play Frisbee in the park.

They told me to meet them at “Sheep’s Meadow.” Finding the park was a breeze since I realized it is across from the Apple store I used to frequent when I was dating my ex. However, finding Sheep’s Meadow without the aid of a Smartphone proved more difficult. But after stumbling through a few green pastures that turned out to be nothing more than playgrounds for squirrels I found the meadow.

Much to our dismay it was still closed for the season. But being the BAMF’s that we are (Google BAMF+Dane Cook if there is any confusion with the term), we decided to hop the fence and pass the Frisbee.

It only took 30 minutes to get kicked out the first time, but an hour and a half to get kicked out the second.

This little piece of land in the middle of the city is an oasis all its own. It takes you out of the city, slows everything down, and makes nature seem real again. The city skyline in the background reminds you that you are still close to the hustle bustle, but far enough away not to care.

I was amazed at how few people were in the park. For a city with a population creeping up to 9 million, I did not understand where they all were. Granted I had not been to this park before, but now I couldn’t understand why.

We made a few friends and tossed with them. These friends did not come from the Bramble, which I am told to steer clear of if I value my belongings and my innocence. But they definitely had interesting personalities. The two were young hipsters that approached us from the other side of the meadow.
"Sir?" asked the girl to my roommate (a mere 26 years old). "Can we play with you?"
As I almost doubled over in laughter, he obliged them to join our group.
He later told me he has never felt older than that moment. I found it refreshing to be referred to with wisdom.
This time was cardio in the park, next time a picinic...with wine.
--
Goals Accomplished:
1) I have never been to Central Park
2) Making friends with strangers is always uneasy for me
3) Found an oasis in the city...and to never enter into the Bramble

3 comments:

  1. You're so badass! Um yes I forgot to mention, we will need to be in Central Park on May 15 with a couple of bottles of wine to watch a certain BF's softball games. Ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I would like to think so although I will have to do more to keep this statement true. I am game to do that May 15th, I have never been to a sporting event in Manhattan...can this even be considered a sporting event?

    THANKS FOR READING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said BF would like me to say that "it's a damn sporting event."

    ReplyDelete