Thursday, September 9, 2010

Personal Assistant or Dog Walker? Doesn't Matter if You're in the Hamptons!


*Walli "enjoying'" the beach

What: Weekend Trip
Where: The Hamptons (Amagansett)
Who: My cousin, Walli, Myself...and a few fun encounters

The Hamptons, what felt like an elusive getaway for me, but a regular excursion for many of the elite. Having grown up in New England friends would go there over the summers. However, I had never been there myself…until recently.

My old boss who I was a ‘personal assistant’ for (read: glorified dog walker) informed me that Walli, his golden retriever, “needed” to go to the beach for the weekend. While I am not a person that treats dogs like humans, I am a poor recent college graduate who believes in treating the likes of me as a celebrity.

Without hesitation I jumped at the opportunity to dog sit in Amagansett with my cousin, Jess, who would be accompanying me. Not only would we be weekending there, we would get to take his SUV (read: environment killer) there. This allowed us to avoid the Jitney, which I was slightly sad about since I have heard so much about it and I am sure would be a new experience all in itself.

Jess, Walli, and I drove the three hours to the beach for what turned into quite the memorable weekend. A fun fact that my prior boss and Jess managed to leave out was that his neighbor was a celebrity and friend of theirs; Sarah Jessica Parker.

Trying not to be too eager about meeting her I pretended not to be disappointed when I missed her the first time we stopped by her house. Luckily on round two I caught her off guard and was the strange cousin of her friend. Immensely excited, I tried to hide it by casually greeting hello.

The house we stayed at was wonderful and only twenty short feet to the private beach. Swimming twice a day was great (once during the day and then again at night.) However, it was disconcerting to actually be able to see the stars for the first time in a few months.

To top off the weekend we got a surprise visitor, another friend of my cousins and my old boss, Matthew Morrison. This has become a namedropping post, my apologies; I am more trying to lay out the weekend than boast about my dumb luck…not really luck if you don’t care about celebrities.

Overall, it was a great weekend, but I see why only “the super rich can afford it,” as said by Robin Leach.

Goals Accomplished:
1) First time going to the Hamptons
2) Mostly comfortable, but nervous around for celebrities (this must have been instilled by society because by the looks of it they are human)
3) Having the "right" friends can have benefits

No comments:

Post a Comment