Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why am I Arched Up During Downward Dog?

*Image property of www.trek2befit.com

What: Yoga
Where: 24 Hour Fitness
Who: Strangers and Me

Yoga seemed to be all the rage over the past few years (and probably before then, but unbeknownst to me) so I decided it was time to take my first class. I thought it best to start out low key (read: free) at the 24 Hour Fitness I belong too.

This time would not be like my spin class, I would be prepared. So I gathered my water bottle and towel and made my way to the gym on a recent Saturday. I showed up at the class five minutes early to find myself standing entirely with women. Not terribly surprised, I waited with them until the previous class finished.

Fearful of being in the front of them room I grabbed a spot towards the back with the matt that my gym had provided (this would be a good idea until the teacher would make us turn around during certain positions.)

The teacher arrived moments later and I really don’t think there is a way not to sound stereotypical. She had wavy (or free as she would describe) hair, spandex pants, and spoke in a calming voice that she would refer to as wind throw the willows, although I am quite sure that no wind ever uttered the words “downward dog.”

I am slightly hesitant to say the class itself was rather easy, although I did not find it greatly challenging. What I found more challenging was concentrating, there were just so many things in the classroom to look at: the crack in the floor at the front of the room, the punching bag swaying slightly, the mirror that reflected everyone’s twisted faces. All of these distractions made it hard to imagine myself in the green pastures of Thailand or some other country she continually referred too.

However, I will pride myself on only laughing twice. The first being on downward dog (do I really need to explain further?) and the second being when a girl who quickly deemed herself as the teachers pet toppled over, try not to judge me too much (after all the Germans created a word for this so it can’t be all bad; schadenfreude.)

My cousin has invited me to partake in Vinyasa yoga at a studio in the East Village…this time I am actually fearful after looking it up, but then again…it will be something new.

Goals Accomplished:
1) First time going to a Yoga class
2) Some of the positions were uncomfortable
3) Learned that not all Yogis (is that a word?) are hippies, names for positions don't always make sense, and it can actually be kind of fun

No comments:

Post a Comment